Fingers of Suspicion

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mafia 9: Sega vs Nintendo - The Race for the Next Generation

Start of Thread

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
INTRO
The 90's is often considered a golden age for video games. If you were alive and a fan of the medium during that time, it was a paradise of high competition, a landscape of incredible, frontier-breaking gameplay, and a rapid advancement in technology from high quality 16-bit graphics to the polygonal 32-bit world that seemed impossible only years before. Yes, it was a wonderful time in the 90s. Well, unless you were a part of the industry. And in 1995, if your name wasn't associated with Nintendo, things were not quite easy.

No one felt this difficulty more than the hotshot company Sega. When the Genesis first came out, Sega succeeded in making Nintendo the temporary #2 company in the gaming market. It seemed like the sky was the limit. But by 1995, they had begun flying too close to the sun. For everywhere they excelled in creativity, they lacked the foresight to reign in their ambitions. And with the new console generation coming, it was make or break for Sega and their upcoming foray into 3D with the western release of the Sega Saturn.

Yuji Naka was hard at work trying to make something special with Nights Into Dreams, hoping to finally step out of the shadow he created with Sonic the Hedgehog. He knew it had the potential to soar, if only he could get it done in time for the console release deadline. Meanwhile, America's Sega Technical Institute was tasked with making the killer app for the Saturn - the blue blur's first leap into 3D in Sonic X-treme. They knew it was a risk, especially without Naka's help, but it was one they were confident could guarantee sales. And with the first Electronics Entertainment Expo(E3) just around the corner, they were hoping to make great strides to have something to show to the world.

------------------------------

Meanwhile, Nintendo had a killer app of their own in mind. They knew keeping the Super Nintendo strong up until the release of the Nintendo 64 would be vital, but if they couldn't keep up with the demands of modern technology, they would be left behind. Hiroshi Yamauchi, President of Nintendo, had this in mind as he began his meeting with Shigeru Miyamoto.

"So, how's it coming along so far?"

Miyamoto spoke with his trademark grin, confident in his abilities. "We're still getting the camera programming to work, but I think Mario's 3D debut will absolutely change the landscape in the market."

Yamauchi nodded stoicly while stroking his chin. "Good, good. And what shall we call it?"

Miyamoto chuckled. "What else? Super Mario 64, of course!"

The two shared a hearty laugh as they thought of all the money they were gonna rake in.

------------------------------

Elsewhere, the head of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, Olaf Olafsson was plotting. While the Japanese release of the PlayStation had been a hit, he knew a successful western launch would be the key to getting vengeance on Nintendo. He had all sorts of hail mary plays up his sleeve, determined to make as wild of a splash as possible. He looked at his calendar, the date May 11 circled in red with the word "E3" bolded and underlined three times. His moment was coming, and he didn't care who he took down in the process.

-----------

RULES:
1. All of the typical Mafia rules apply (no talking outside of game etc)
2. No breadcrumbing or role claiming allowed. This will result in a modkill.
2a. This does not include sharing information that you have received. Yes, this is a fine line. Be careful, and when in doubt, ask the moderator.
3. No editing of posts is allowed.
4. Eliminations will be handled with plurality voting. The player with the most votes at the end of a day phase will be eliminated.
4a. No Lynch is a valid vote.
4b. Hammer Majority is in effect.
5. In the event of a tie, one of the tied players will be eliminated randomly.
6. Votes must be formatted with vote tags([.v][./v] without period). You may also press the button that looks like a box with a checkmark.
7. You do not have to UNVOTE to change your vote.
8. All night actions MUST be submitted by 1 hour before deadline. No late submissions will be accepted.
9. Discord is required for this game. All private chats will be done within discord unless otherwise specified. Actions may be submitted either through Discord or through PMs on this message board.
10. If you have any questions, please ask me privately via Private Message either here or on Discord. I will not answer questions in the thread unless pertinent to the entire game.
11. 1 vote per phase is required. I will be understanding in the case of hammers.
12. 3 posts per day is required. Repetitive absences will be punished.

Player List
1. MTR
2. Mazer
3. Val the Moofia Boss
4. Badger
5. CWE
6. Matthieu
7. Jarrod1983
8. LemonDemonGirl
9. Tildey
10. Nightingale
11. Peter Griffin
12. Dreyski
13. Blind Ninja
14. VoidKitten
15. GrumpyCat
16. FutureHold
17. Insaner
18. Claws

Last edited:

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
DAY ONE

Electronic Gaming Monthly's March 1995 issue covered the heated battle between Sony and Sega as they raced to get a lead on the next generation of gaming consoles, but talked extensively about how this only gets complicated as rumors of the Nintendo 64 run rampant. They talk about the upcoming debut of the Electronic Entertainment Expo and what all the companies will have on display to wow the fans.

The issue spent time covering different games confirmed in development as well as the hottest rumors. Sonic X-treme was a primary talking point, highlighting how it was Sega Technical Institute's chance to finally shine with the Sonic franchise now that Yuji Naka was focusing on a new property. EGM cited the upcoming Comix Zone as another example of their promising output in the last hurrah for Genesis games. They talked about how Sega did seem to have their plate full with Sega 32x and Sega CD seeming like unnecessary stopgaps for the Saturn's release. Though they did give much due praise to the Sega CD having a surprisingly strong library of games that might be worth the extra hardware.

One game EGM did seem excited for was a rumored rail shooter involving an epic story and cutting edge graphics. Their sources said a title for the project that's been making rounds is "Panzer Dragoon".

One quick blip of rumors towards the back of the magazine mentioned potential troubles with Square's follow-up to their flagship franchise Final Fantasy. While they seem to have quite a few big projects completing for the Super Nintendo, they talk about potential disagreements. They don't confirm the rumors and expect things will patch over between Square and Nintendo to keep their lucrative business relationship in good standing.

A fan letter raved about how Sonic 3 is still holding up, and with Sonic & Knuckles completing the game, it truly is the best swansong the Genesis could ever produce. The editor couldn't help but agree, but made sure to push that the Genesis wasn't quite done yet with some exciting titles still coming.

Even still, the one thing that everyone seemed to be talking about was the smallest box with a short quote that read, "There have been confirmed reports of a 3D Mario in development. Shigeru Miyamoto is calling it Super Mario 64." And the world rumbled with excitement.

—-------

The game has started. It is now Day One. With 18 players alive, 10 votes are required for a hammer.

The phase ends at 8PM EST on Thursday, November 9th.

Living Players
1. @MTR
2. @Mazer
3. @Val the Moofia Boss
4. @Badger
5. @CWE
6. @Matthieu
7. @Jarrod1983
8. @LemonDemonGirl
9. @Tildey
10. @Nightingale
11. @Peter Griffin
12. @Dreyski
13. @Blind Ninja
14. @VoidKitten
15. @GrumpyCat
16. @FutureHold
17. @Insaner
18. @Claws

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
1 - Badger(Peter Griffin)
1 - Matthieu (Blind Ninja)
1 - VoidKitten (FutureHold)

Not Voting: Badger, Claws, CWE, Dreyski, GrumpyCat, Insaner, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Matthieu, Mazer, MTR, Nightingale, Tildey, Val the Moofia Boss, Voidkitten

GrumpyCat

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
he/him
I want to send my night action as well. but a certainly awesome d1 needs to go first.

Badger

“70% Furry, 30% Filthy, 100% Fun”
Pronouns
he/him
Ew. I have to send actions through PM and not my discord channel.
Lol we had to do that for years on Rajah before Discord came into play. Chats on quick topic too.

GrumpyCat

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
he/him
So any laws that will get scum d1 again or are we going to sleep and win this time? :dunno:

Blind Ninja

Vigilante
Here let me sum it up for you:
"Day One Matters!!"
"All Days Matter!"
"You all disgust me, this is all just cries for attention and views"
*Everyone goes home and nothing perceptible happens*
You forgot the argument of:
"Nothing happens on D1"

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
1 - Matthieu (Blind Ninja)
1 - VoidKitten (FutureHold)
1 - LemonDemonGirl (GrumpyCat)
1 - Peter Griffin (Badger)

Not Voting: Claws, CWE, Dreyski, Insaner, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Matthieu, Mazer, MTR, Nightingale, Tildey, Val the Moofia Boss, Voidkitten

GrumpyCat

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
he/him
Come on matthieu save yourself. Vote ldg with me. Its like sleeping.

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
2 - Matthieu (Blind Ninja, Nightingale)
2 - VoidKitten (FutureHold, Dreyski)
1 - Sleep (Matthieu)
1 - Mazer (CWE)

Not Voting: Claws, Insaner, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Mazer, MTR, Tildey, Val the Moofia Boss, Voidkitten

Last edited:

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
1 - Sleep (Matthieu)
1 - Mazer (CWE)

Not Voting: Claws, Insaner, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Mazer, MTR, Tildey, Val the Moofia Boss, Voidkitten

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
1 - Sleep (Matthieu)
1 - Mazer (CWE)
1 - FutureHold (VoidKitten)

Not Voting: Claws, Insaner, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Mazer, MTR, Tildey, Val the Moofia Boss

Mazer

Spirit Breaker
"Day One Matters!!"
"All Days Matter!"
Hey slugger. Seems like you've played this game before. Must be pretty good at it by now.

Have you noticed what a nice day it is?

Just sayin

Claws

Mastermind
I am actually totally town this game for once. :D

bart simpson GIF

Mazer

Spirit Breaker
I am not voting Badger unless forced to or at least Day 3.

I feel bad about my push still.
Hey bud. I see you're still playing your atari 7800. You tell your friends it's as good as the NES, but you're not fooling the other kids.

But maybe time to put down this game? The Miller kid would probably toss the Ole pigskin around with you.

Dreyski

Lost Wolf
Pronouns
he/him
And as a quick aside, I ran the first two posts through the spreadsheet and it came to 18 characters/18 players. Several caveats:

I'm assuming
- the actual companies are not PCs
- there's one 3p character
- all four Sonic references are different characters
- there may be more characters we haven't seen yet

VoidKitten

Dr. Voidiarty
Pronouns
he/him
And as a quick aside, I ran the first two posts through the spreadsheet and it came to 18 characters/18 players. Several caveats:

I'm assuming
I would expect there would me more characters we haven't seen. I don't remember a game off hand where we didn't have others appear.

VoidKitten

Dr. Voidiarty
Pronouns
he/him
Hey bud. I see you're still playing your atari 7800. You tell your friends it's as good as the NES, but you're not fooling the other kids.

But maybe time to put down this game? The Miller kid would probably toss the Ole pigskin around with you.
I have no idea what any of this means.

VoidKitten

Dr. Voidiarty
Pronouns
he/him
Mazer thinks I had an Atari or NES.

My first console I played was my brother's SNES and Genesis. My first console of my own was my Pikachu N64.

VoidKitten

Dr. Voidiarty
Pronouns
he/him
Or was that Mazer's way of saying I should not give Badger a 2 day pass because of last game.

If so, then he woefully misunderstands how I play this game.

Claws

Mastermind
Do you really want to do this again for a second game in a row where you come after me and it potentially ends poorly for you?

Focus elsewhere and come back to me if I'm still alive :p
sure do you gunna kill me again i hate no1 listened to me

Nightingale

Administrator
You know what actually is useless day one? Trying to gain any kind of info from spreadsheets XD

MTR

Vigilante
Pronouns
he/him
"Day One Matters!!"
"All Days Matter!"
That is about right

Mazer

Spirit Breaker
I'm certainly not talking about you wanting to play with Badger this weekend....

.....we all know you could use the social interactions. ....

I just think you keep playing these loud games.

Maybe you're getting addicted to one game?

Mazer

Spirit Breaker
That is about right
I do not like how foxxi characterizes the ND1LC4L.

No sir, I do not.

maybe if she'd put down the damn controller and pick up a newspaper occasionally

Tildey

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
she/her

I'm assuming

Seth Meyers Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

My inner voice hoping that's a sign we have a game that can be spreadsheeted

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
I am not voting Badger unless forced to or at least Day 3.

I feel bad about my push still.
How very sweet and he probably does….yet I’m still gonna be murdered past D3. Also you had me killed the game before too…

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
Still though I think this target that’s come up is spicy. Don’t really want to vote Peter yet as want to see how he participates….

Vote: Jarrod1983

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
Badger triggering early Bad Badger tells.
:squint:
Let's see how he counters...
:sherlock:
Peter was always a joke, I never take his N1 vote seriously. I do genuinely want to see his contributions.

I feel like pushing Jarrod a little though and like the spiciness. I feel he maybe gets a bit of a pass D1

CWE

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
he/him
Peter was always a joke, I never take his N1 vote seriously. I do genuinely want to see his contributions.

I feel like pushing Jarrod a little though and like the spiciness. I feel he maybe gets a bit of a pass D1
Dirty Badger's stink...

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
Dirty Badger's stink...
To be fair you nearly always seem to not like my early votes. Take Tildey in that game for example and I was right so don’t read into your tell.

CWE

Scum Hunter
Pronouns
he/him
And the vote wasn't the sussy post.(well it wasn't the MAIN sussy post...)

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
You’ll soon see my healthy green glow.

Mazer

Spirit Breaker
I'm certainly not talking about you wanting to play with Badger this weekend....

.....we all know you could use the social interactions. ....

I just think you keep playing these loud games.

Maybe you're getting addicted to one game?

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
3 - VoidKitten (FutureHold, Dreyski, Insaner)
2 - Jarrod1983 (CWE, Badger)
1 - Sleep (Matthieu)
1 - MTR (Val the Moofia Boss)

Not Voting: Claws, Jarrod1983, LemonDemonGirl, Mazer, MTR, Tildey

About 36 hours remain

Blind Ninja

Vigilante
Seth Meyers Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

My inner voice hoping that's a sign we have a game that can be spreadsheeted
I highly doubt that. Most game runners have done things to make spreadsheeting more difficult. Assume additional names not listed are in game... potentially some listed are grouped together.

Blind Ninja

Vigilante
Still though I think this target that’s come up is spicy. Don’t really want to vote Peter yet as want to see how he participates….

Vote: Jarrod1983
i can give him a 2 days, 3 tops... but after that, if little to no participation, he'll be square in my target for a lynch

Jarrod1983

Scum Hunter
No secret here, I like to let people flap their gums D1 and go back to look later.

I love waking up to a vote from Badger, like he almost knew one was coming his way from me as I've taken to poking him D1. Which if I do now, he'd frame as omgus or whatever word it is that my weed soaked brain can't recall right now to make me look bad.

But fuck it, I'll do it anyways.

Vote: Badger

Blind Ninja

Vigilante
but you cant say im not trying to get people to interact.

Her response was lazy. "Forgot the game was going, need to post something so i dont get called out."

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
No secret here, I like to let people flap their gums D1 and go back to look later.

I love waking up to a vote from Badger, like he almost knew one was coming his way from me as I've taken to poking him D1. Which if I do now, he'd frame as omgus or whatever word it is that my weed soaked brain can't recall right now to make me look bad.

But fuck it, I'll do it anyways.

Vote: Badger
Same as with Peter, I knew you’d do this and not really bothered. I’d frame your approach as more stubbornly trying to hammer in a nail every game and won’t stop til it fits (ie flips scum).

Prepare to be disappointed again though.

Badger

Pronouns
he/him
Only initial judging on the write up, it looks like the company names might not be roles but that’s based on the purple faction and it might be for a single 3p and not sure this game is big enough for multiple Mafia but just a guess. We haven’t seen all the characters.

I also expect fuckery and so spreadsheeting difficulties.

Jarrod1983

Scum Hunter
Same as with Peter, I knew you’d do this and not really bothered. I’d frame your approach as more stubbornly trying to hammer in a nail every game and won’t stop til it fits (ie flips scum).

Prepare to be disappointed again though.
I love fitting circle pegs into triangle holes Badger.

I've explained before how dangerous you can be. It's not being stubborn, it's just not trusting until trust is earned. You coming for me because you knew I'd look your way doesn't look great on you. If scum, it's like we need Jarrod out because he will show that spotlight on me.

You'll be disappointed as well so I guess we'll see how it plays out friend.

PsychoSoldier

Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Vote Count
3 - VoidKitten (FutureHold, Dreyski, Insaner)
2 - Jarrod1983 (CWE, Badger)
2 - Badger (Peter Griffin, Jarrod1983)
1 - Sleep (Matthieu)
1 - MTR (Val the Moofia Boss)

Not Voting: Claws, LemonDemonGirl, Mazer, MTR, Tildey

Last edited:
Top Bottom